Can I Install My Own Central Air Unit To Save On Costs
A DIY approach may seem cost-effective, but it may be a better idea to leave it to the professionals.
Depending on where you live, you may need a permit to install a new unit. A professional in your area already knows the ins and outs of this process. Adding refrigerant to your AC unit or removing an old unit that has refrigerant inside may also require an EPA certification. To obtain this sort of certification, you must pass an exam and pay a fee, whereas a technician is already certified.
You could also end up paying more over the long run by installing the system yourself. If ductwork is not properly sealed and insulated, it greatly reduces your systems efficiency and you could see massive spikes in your energy bills.
Installing the system yourself may also void the warranty, as most require units to be installed by licensed technicians.
Should I Replace My Compressor Or Whole Ac Unit
Because compressor replacement is so expensive, sometimes it’s more cost-effective to replace the whole AC unit instead. If the unit is still under warranty, most HVAC technicians recommend replacing the compressor.
Consider replacing the whole AC unit if:
- The compressor is no longer under warranty.
- The AC unit is more than 10 years old.
- The unit has a history of other problems.
- The repair cost is 50% or more of the price of a new AC unit.
Before replacing the compressor or entire AC system, have a technician inspect the unit for other problems. Compressor failure symptoms often mimic the symptoms of other issues that cost less to repair.
How Long Does It Take To Install Central Air Conditioning
It can take one to five or more days for a local HVAC installation pro to install central air conditioning. AC replacements take more time, as do projects with extensive ductwork repairs or installations. This extra time can range anywhere from an additional day to another week.
Have More Questions? Ask a Local AC Installer.
Recommended Reading: Why Won’t My Ac Turn On
Cost Factors To Replace Home Ac Compressor
Total costs to replace an AC compressor depend on the AC unit size in tons, compressor type and brand, refrigerant type, and warranty coverage.
- Warranty Warranties typically cover all or most of the compressor’s cost, but not the labor cost to install. If the compressor is out of warranty, it’s typically more cost-effective to install a new AC unit.
- Type Compressors come in single-stage, two-stage, and variable-speed models. Two-stage and variable-speed compressors are more efficient but are more expensive to replace.
- Size The size and cost of the AC compressor depends on the AC units capacity in tons. Larger units are more expensive and require more refrigerant.
- Refrigerant The AC refrigerant requires refilling after replacing the compressor. A freon refill costs$100 to $600, depending on if it’s R22 or R410a refrigerant and the amount needed to top off the system.
- Brand AC compressor prices vary by brand. Central AC units work best when paired with the same compressor brand they were manufactured with or when matched with a generic or OEM compressor of the same type.
- Season Prices increase during the summer and winter when HVAC contractors are busiest. Rates are lowest during off-peak months between mid-January and March or from late September to November.
What Is The Difference Between A Heat Pump And An Air Conditioner
An air conditioner can cool but cannot heat. A heat pump can cool in the same way but can also reverse itself to provide heat instead when needed. Air conditioners are typically paired with a furnace to heat the home during cold months.
Before hiring an AC company near you, be sure to:
- Get at least three estimates to compare.
- Look for a NATE-certified company with experience installing central AC units.
- Select an HVAC contractor who will perform a complete home evaluation to assess your cooling needs.
- Read reviews and check out their previous work on HomeGuide and Google.
- Select companies that are insured, bonded, and have been in business longer than five years.
- When comparing quotes, confirm they include equipment of the same size and quality.
- Avoid selecting the lowest quote as quality may suffer.
- Get a detailed estimate, contract, and warranty in writing before the work begins.
- Never pay in full before the project starts. Follow a payment plan instead for work completed.
Also Check: Wall Ac And Heating Units
Reviewed And Edited By Steve Hansen Of Costimates
Steve Hansen is the Lead Editor of Costimates. An avid home improvement professional with more than 35 years experience in both DIYprojects, as well as working as a construction foreman in residential new home building, upfits, repairs and remodeling.
“Like most homeowners, I became frustrated with the lack of quality information available on specific homeimprovement repairs and renovations. In 2015, Costimates was formed to help homeowners learn as much as possibleabout various projects and their costs so they could make better financial decisions.“
Costimates is an online library of home improvement cost estimates, to help homeowners learn, plan, budget and compare repair pricing and replacement costs around their house. We also match homeowners to qualified contractors in their local area for free quotes and quality home improvement services.
Packaged Central Air Conditioning System
A packaged central AC system is similar to the split air system, but the condensing unit, evaporator coil, and air handler are all packaged in a single box located on the roof or next to the foundation. Packaged systems are less common in residential settings and less efficient. On average, they cost around $2,300 to $5,500.
Read Also: Lowes Water Heater Installation Cost
Signs You Need To Replace Your Ac Condenser
While we hope it doesnt happen on a hot summer day, the first sign you may need to replace your AC condenser may occur when you first turn it on at the start of warmer months. Thats why we always recommend testing your appliances and home systems periodically throughout the year in preparation for the time you will need them most. Some signs your AC condenser needs replacing include:
- AC system is not blowing cool air
- System not responding to thermostat control
- Little to no airflow out of the vents
- Loud or odd noise from inside the condenser unit
- Strange odors when AC turned on
- Liquid leaks around AC condenser unit
- Rising or higher electric bill
- Lifespan of ten or so years is over
Compare Quotes From Top-rated Air Conditioner Installers
Free, No-commitment Estimates
Central Ac Cost By Efficiency Seer Rating
How efficient are central ACs? The least efficient are 13 SEER, though that is about to change to 14 SEER as the minimum efficiency manufactured .
The most efficient central air conditioners have SEER ratings in the 20s, and the top number continues to increase each year. The most recent Energy Star Most Efficient Central AC list shows the Carrier Infinity 26 Series reaching 25 SEER , and the Lennox SL28XCV Series reaching 28 SEER.
This chart shows common SEER ratings with prices for units from 1.5 tons to 5.0 tons.
|$9,700 $14,000 or more||$12,600|
Tip: In AC sizes, 1 ton = 12,000 BTU. So, in terms of BTUs, central air conditioners come in sizes from 18,000 to 60,000 BTUs, which is the amount of heat they can remove from your home every hour.
You May Like: Ac Disconnect Pull Out Replacement
Ac Compressor Replacement Cost
The compressor is the heart of your cooling unit. Its the element that produces cool air. When it starts to slow down and requires repairs, youll probably want to start thinking about how much it may cost you to replace it.
According to data by HomeGuide, the average cost to replace a home air conditioner compressor is about $600 to $1,200 under warranty, or $1,300 to $2,500 when its not under warranty. Many HVAC contractors charge $100 to $150 per hour plus the cost of parts to repair a home AC compressor. These labor rates vary based on your location and individual contractor.
In some cases, you may have to replace the entire AC unit, and that can take 4 to 6 hours for a qualified contractor to do. A typical price range for a complete AC unit replacement is $3,300 to $6,000. The actual cost depends on the unit brand, contractor labor rates and how long it takes to complete the job.
The Average Cost Of Heat Pumps
Its worth noting that heat pumps tend to have different costs compared to central air conditioners. These units to install tend to fall between the $15,000 to $35,000 price range in California. This seemingly wide range is due in part to the various heat pumps available: air-source, water-source, and geothermal.
Since central ACs and heat pumps can both last up to 20 years, its up to you to find a solution that meets your needs the most. Dont hesitate to contact a professional HVAC technician to discuss your options or get a quote online.
Recommended Reading: Window Ac Unit Not Cooling
Why Do Hvac Replacement Costs Vary So Much
If youre wondering why some of those ranges are so large, its because HVAC systems vary pretty dramatically in their size and set-up. Every home is different, so HVAC systems have to flex to suit!
Here are some of the factors that will influence the replacement cost. These include:
- The bigger the home, the more powerful the system youll need.Higher SEER units are more efficient but also more expensive.
- Add-ons. Adding thermostats, zoning systems, humidifiers and so on will add to your costs.
- Industry standard brands tend to be more expensive than lesser-known ones.
The other major factor influencing cost is whether youre replacing the whole system, installing a new one, or just replacing a part. Obviously, the less you need done, the lower the cost!
While a full system replacement will eventually need to be done, HVAC systems have a lengthy lifespan of between 10-25 years. Staying on top of your preventative maintenance will push yours closer to that upper figure, helping you get more value from your system in the long-term, and ensuring increased efficiency as well.
For a quote on replacing or installing an HVAC system, or to arrange an appointment for preventative maintenance, get in touch using the form below! The team at Shaw is always here to help.
**Disclaimer: These prices are just industry averages and will vary**
How To Save On Ac Condenser Replacement Costs
Although you cant replace a condenser yourself, you can take some steps to reduce costs.
- Choose an energy-efficient condenser with a high SEER rating.
- Ensure the condenser is easily accessible to reduce the technicians time doing non-specialty work.
- Familiarize yourself with your condensers warranty, including what it covers and how long it lasts.
- Have major HVAC repairs done in the off-season when labor costs are lower, if possible.
- Help your condenser last longer by reducing the stress on your AC system. Change your filter regularly and get your annual tune-up.
- Its usually time to get a new air conditioner if the cost of repairing the unit or replacing a major part multiplied by the age of your air conditioner is greater than $5,000. For example, youll probably save money by replacing the whole unit if the condenser replacement costs $1,400, but the system is nine years old .
- Think long-term and choose materials like copper coils that cost more up-front but last longer and are more efficient.
You May Like: Ac Delco Spark Plug Heat Range Chart
Signs That You Need Ac Condenser Replacement
The signs that your condenser needs replacing are similar to the general signs that you need to call an HVAC technician. However, its almost certainly a condenser problem if you suspect something is wrong with the outdoor unit of your AC system. Look for these signs:
- Leaked fluid around the outdoor unit
- Loud noises coming from the outdoor unit
- Overheating of condenser parts
- Reduced cool air or overall airflow coming from your indoor vents
An automotive AC condenser shows many of the same signs when it malfunctions. Take your car to an auto repair shop if you suspect the system is leaving puddles of refrigerant under your car when its parked.
Diy Vs Professional Ac Condenser Replacement
Replacing an AC condenser is a professional job because it requires specialized tools and knowledge. You may be able to do some simple jobs yourself, such as cleaning debris out of the coils. You can also do some minor troubleshooting before calling an HVAC technician. Check your circuit breaker for blown fuses and your thermostat for malfunctions before assuming somethings wrong with the AC.
Most importantly, perform regular maintenance on your cooling system and change your air filter as often as the manufacturer recommends. A clogged air filter will affect performance and force your air conditioner to work harder.
Also Check: Lennox Furnace And Ac Combo
Adding Central Air To Forced Air Heat
Many central air systems use furnace blowers to distribute cool air throughout the space. If you dont have a central heating system, installing a cost-effective heating and air conditioning system at the same time can be worth it. You can use the existing fans and duct system for the central air if you already have central heating.
Can An Rv Air Conditioner Be Repaired
A control board inside the unit can cause the system to short cycle when it begins to fail, or it could be a bad thermostat. In either case, youll need to call in a technician to diagnose and fix the problem with your RV air conditioner.
Is there a reset on RV air conditioner?
The location of the reset button varies from model to model, but its typically easy to find. Most reset buttons are red, marked as Reset, and located on the back along the bottom of the unit. Some models have the reset button on the inside of the unit. In this case, the button is usually behind the service panel.
How do I know if my RV AC capacitor is bad?
Recommended Reading: Circulation Pump For Water Heater
Does My Current Air Conditioner Meet My Needs
Beyond cost and age, ask yourself these questions:
These might not always be pertinent factors in a repair v. replacement decision, but they can be depending on your situation.
The answer to those questions can lead to different solutions. For example, if your home is too humid, a new air conditioner might be the solution. However, you may be better off with a whole-home dehumidifier. As with any of this, a knowledgeable HVAC representative can walk you through your options, but its also important to know about each beforehand.
Noise is another issue. Nearly any component can affect noise levels. It could be low refrigerant, a slightly bent fan blade, noisy electrical components, or a loud compressor. Each of those parts can be replaced, but the cost must be weighed against the other factors listed in this article.
If its just a single part thats causing the noise, a repair might be your best bet. If its system-wide, however, newer systems tend to run much quieter than their older counterparts.
Ive even had customers tell me their new system isnt running properly, only to find out that its simply a LOT quieter than their old system!
Payne Air Conditioner Prices
The cost of a Payne air conditioner is $1,950 to $3,920. Payne is also considered a good budget brand. They make a full range of sizes to fit any home. They also have several energy ratings to choose from. This company is slightly less easily found. You may need to purchase this model through the installer if you choose a Payne air conditioner.
Don’t Miss: Why Is My Home Ac Not Blowing Cold Air
How Much Does It Cost To Repair An Air Conditioner
Tell me if this sounds familiar: A mechanic tells you theres a problem with your car, and that it may fail before long. If youre anything like me, youll ask if it needs to be taken care of right away.
The answer to this question is often no, but the mechanic cant guarantee how long it will last. The same is often true of HVAC repair.
So you leave the car shop without having to pay a lot extra right now. The problems with this approach vary, though:
- The repair will now be in the back of your mind, and can be a source of worry.
- Every time there is a weird noise, bump, or grind, youre likely to be fearful.
When this happens with my car, I turn the radio down, shush everyone in the car, and drive in complete silence for about 30 seconds.
On the flip side, when I get it repaired, I feel like my car is now invincible and I can drive it like its a race car.
This situation is different when I have a breakdown. The experience of not having my car, something that is essential to live my life, is bad enough to where Im going to do whatever I can to not have to go through it again.
If there are other issues with the car at that point, I will decide on one of a few options:
- Get them all taken care of and have a much lower chance of problems in the near future.
- Take care of only the most prominent issues and deal with this again when necessary .
- Compressor replacement: $2000+
- Condenser replacement: $1700+
- Smaller components: $300-$800