What Brand Of Water Heater Is The Most Reliable
The most reliable brand of water heater is Rheem. Rheem water heaters are well-known for their reliability and offer an extensive line of gas and electric models that meet various needs and budgets.
The company makes different models such as the gladiator, hybrid, smart electric, Marathon, HotWave, and so on. Rheem water heaters are available as tank and tankless water heaters, solar water heaters, point of use, and hybrid water heaters, among others. Their products are also covered by a full manufacturers warranty, so you can rest assured that your investment is protected.
Disconnect The Electric Supply And Water Lines
Next, youll need to detach the electric supply and water lines from the old water heater.
- After confirming that the electric supply is off, disconnect the wire from the thermostat on the water heater using a screwdriver.
- If your existing electric water heater setup is already equipped with dielectric unions at the top of the tank, disconnect the cold water supply and hot water supply at the union using two adjustable wrenches or pipe wrenches. If the piping has been soldered into place, use a tubing cutter to cut the pipe. Clean the pipe with Emery cloth before cutting the pipe this will make it easier to prep for the solder connection later.
- Using an adjustable wrench or pipe wrench, remove the overflow pipe and pressure release valve from the old hot water heater you will reinstall it on the new unit.
- Remove the old water heater. Older water heaters fill with sediment over time, so prepare for it to be heavier than a new one. You may need a helper and an appliance dolly.
- Dispose of your old water heater. Check with your local sanitation or recycling company for information on how to discard it in accordance with local ordinance. When using a professional installer, make sure they remove the old water heater as part of their service.
- Clean the floor where the old water heater stood.
Signs That Your Water Heater Needs Replacing
If youve had your water heater for a while, its time to start thinking about replacing it. Here are some common signs that your water heater needs replacing.
Read Also: Ac Blowing Cold Air But Not Cooling
Important Things To Consider
Actually, Home Depot will not perform the installation of the water heater. They have contracts with other professionals who are licensed and background screened to do this job.
Home Depot water heating solutions are of high quality, affordable, and with their help, you will constantly benefit from hot water at the temperature you want. Choose the option that works best for you, depending on the heating power, capacity, and dimensions, all of which you should also have adapted to the available space.
Install The Heat Trap Fittings And Water Line Connections
Next, attach the heat trap fittings and water line connections. Heat trap fittings improve your water heaters efficiency. They prevent hot water from leaving the tank and stop cold water entering when its not in use.
- Wrap the heat trap fitting pipe threads with thread seal tape. Many of these fittings are directional. Find the arrows that show the correct direction for installation. If installed wrong, water will not flow properly or at all.
- Attach the blue-coded fitting to the cold-water inlet. Follow the arrow facing into the water heater.
- Attach the red fitting to the hot water outlet. Follow the arrow pointing away from the water heater.
- Tighten using a pipe wrench or adjustable pliers.
- Measure and cut the water line connections to length as needed.
- When sweating the remaining copper sections, dry fit everything first. Sweat any threaded copper fitting first. Let them cool before installing them onto the heat trap fittings. Once you have the pieces in place, separate the parts. Clean the inside of each joint and the end of each section of pipe. Use a sanding cloth or a pipe fitting brush to do this.
- Apply flux to the fittings and pipe. Assemble and solder using a propane torch.
- Reconnect the water line.
- Attach the pressure relief valve. Wrap the threads with thread seal tape, then screw it onto the new tank.
- Install the valves drain line from the previous tank. Wrap the threads with thread seal tape and install it onto the valve.
Also Check: Lg Dual Inverter Portable Ac
Can You Install A Water Heater On Your Own
It is possible to install a water heater on your own. However, you need to be skilled in areas such as plumbing and electrical. Other tasks include learning the building codes, obtaining a permit, and scheduling an inspection of the area.
The lack of skills, tools, and knowledge can lead to a mistake that causes you to spend more money than planned!
If you do not have the skills, tools, or experience necessary for installing a water heater, it is best to hire a professional from a reliable company for the job. For example, you may want to hire a service provider from Home Depot.
Home Depot Does Not Install Water Heaters For Free
Remember, Home Depot does not install water heaters for free. You can hire a professional to install a tank or tankless water heater for a price. If you have the skills, tools, and knowledge, you can always install your own water heater.
The price range to have a professional from Home Depot install your water heater ranges from $1,000 to $3,500, but it is worth it to have a professional install your water heater.
Read Also: Water Heater Pilot Keeps Going Out
Whats Included In Home Depots Water Heater Installation Services
Home Depots water heater installation services include everything from the initial assessment of your needs to the installation of your new water heater.
The time it takes to install a water heater depends on the unit and how complicated your plumbing system is. For example, a tank-to-tank installation may take 23 hours, a tank-to-tankless installation may take 3-4 hours, and tankless to tankless installation may take 1-3 hours.
Home Depot also stocks various parts for different kinds of water heaters. You can order the parts online and have them shipped directly to your house.
After installing a new water heater, Home Depot installers can help with hauling away the old unit. Home Depot wont charge you for removing the old heater since it isfactored in the new water heater installation fees.
Whats The Process Like
When you purchase a water heater from Home Depot, it is installed by a vetted and licensed professional. Home Depot also offerssame-day installations if you live within 30 miles of a Home Depot store. However, you must buy the water heater on Monday to Friday and make an installation appointment before noon.
Also Check: Water Heater Gas Control Valve
Mount The Water Heater
Tankless gas water heaters are direct-vent only. This means they need to be piped directly to the outside and not through a chimney. Due to their efficiency, the flue gas temperature on a tankless system is too low to vent through a conventional masonry chimney. Oftentimes you can vent the unit directly through the rim joist of the home. Youll do this using pipe rated for this application. Follow the manufacturer’s guidance on how to vent your new water heater unit.
- Choose a location for the new water heater that will allow you to vent it to the outside easily. Follow the manufacturers installation instructions to ensure that you have the proper clearances all around. Make sure your vent location follows local code regulations. This includes minimum distances from windows, doors and other considerations.
- Build a mounting box out of 2 x 4 lumber and 3/4-inch plywood that will allow you to mount the new tankless water heater about four inches out from the wall. Make the box sturdy enough to hold the weight of the unit. Secure it to the basement wall using the appropriate masonry anchors for your foundation wall.
- Mount the tankless water heater securely to the mounting box per manufacturers specifications.
Option : Tankless Water Heater
A tankless water heater also runs on gas or electricity, but it does not store water within the unit. The unit only heats water as needed, which is great for conserving water and energy. It also has a compact design to save space.
The operation costs are lower than a tank water heater, but the upfront investment is higher than a tank water heater.
The nationwide costs of a tankless water heater ranges from $1,200 to $5,000, but the average cost is usually $3,500.
A tankless water heater installation includes the following factors:
- Tankless water heater
- Installation labor
- Old unit removal
The total cost of a tank or tankless water heater installation depends on the type of model, energy-efficient features, warranties, and region. It should also be noted that gas water heaters are less expensive than electric water heaters.
Home Depot offers same-day installation at no extra cost. You do need to call before noon and live within 30 miles of a Home Depot location.
Also Check: Air Compressor For Car Ac
Home Depot Charge For Tankless Water Heater
These heaters use the same electricity or gas as a traditional hot water system, but they can not hold water inside the tank. The machine only warms the water when required, saving electricity and water. It also boasts a space-saving style. The operating expenses are cheaper than a tank hot water system, but the initial expenditure is more. A tankless water heater can cost anywhere from $1,200 to $5,000 however, the average price is around $3,500.
The entire cost of installing a tankless or tank water heater is determined by the brand, energy-saving options, guarantees, and area. Its also worth noting that gasoline water heaters are more affordable than electricity-powered heaters. You may also be interested to know about tankless water heater home depot vs plumber.
What Is Home Depots Installation Process
The process is incredibly simple. Rather than deciding on a water heater, finding a contractor, and arranging all the details, you can contact your local Home Depot, and they take care of everything.
Once you contact them, they will send out a licensed installer to look at your existing water tank. This professional will help you decide on the best water heater for your needs.
Then youll book a time with Home Depot to have the water heater installed. They only use qualified professionals whove received background checks and are licensed to perform the installation.
After the water heater is installed, your installer will ensure that you know everything there is to know about your new water heater as far as its features and maintenance go. Theyll also ensure that everything is working correctly.
Don’t Miss: How Big Of An Ac Unit Do I Need
Disconnect The Gas And Water Lines
Next, detach the gas and water lines from the old water heater.
- After confirming that the gas supply is shut off, disconnect the gas line using two pipe wrenches. Disconnect the gas line at the union fitting if the gas supply line is a black iron pipe. Disconnect at the flare fitting if the gas supply line is a flexible pipe. The union fitting is typically installed just after the gas valve that feeds the water heater.
- Using two adjustable wrenches or pipe wrenches, disconnect the water lines above the tank. If the piping has been soldered into place, use a tubing cutter to cut the pipe. Clean the pipe with a sanding cloth before cutting the pipe. This will make it easier to prep for the solder connection later.
- Remove any gas piping that is attached to the old water heaters gas valve. If the supply here is made of black iron pipe, keep the tank tee and sediment trap intact. Keep the leg that connects to the union so you can re-use them later.
- Remove the overflow pipe and pressure release valve from the old hot water heater. You will reinstall it later on the new unit.
Does Home Depot Install Water Heaters
Home Depot provides water heaterinstallation services in most areas of the US. They install gas or electricity-powered traditional tanks and tankless water heaters.
The installation costs range from $1500 to $3000 and include the water heater, installation permits, installation materials, and labor by a local, licensed, and insured plumber.
Below are the costs of installing different types of water heaters.
|Type of water heater|
|Point of use water heater||$300-$1500|
You May Like: Why Is My Home Ac Not Blowing Cold Air
Solar Powered Water Heater
Speaking of energy efficiency, there is a solar-powered option. If you already have panels on your home or are considering installing them, read on.
You guessed it! A solar-powered water heater uses roof-mounted solar panels to get energy. Theres a heat-conductive material that heats up the water tank.
Again, if you live somewhere with a lot of sun, this could be an excellent option for you. If you reside somewhere like Seattle, you may want to check out the other options. Its important to know that these water heaters require a backup energy source, such as gas, for overcast days.
How Good Is Home Depots Water Heater Installation
Home Depots water heater installation services havehigh ratings, with an average of 4.4 out of 5 by 23864 reviewers on their website. The retailer uses only licensed installers trained in working with each manufacturers products to provide quality services every time.
Most customers have had positive experiences with their installers, but some have complained about poor customer service and incorrect billing. Some customers also complained about poor communication from Home Depots customer service team.
After installing your water heater, Home Depot offers a 3-year labor warranty and will provide free maintenance and repairs within the period. You can also purchase an additional Home Depot water heaterprotection plan. The plan starts upon the expiry of the manufacturers labor warranty and runs for five years.
Read Also: Ac Working But Not Cooling
Emergency Plumbing Service In Orange County
Pristine Plumbing has been serving the Orange County area since 2008 and has become the areas most trusted plumbing and water heater repair company.
Regardless of the time, when you need water heater repair, water leak repair, or any other emergency plumbing repair, you cant beat our prices, response times, and commitment to keeping your home clean and pristine throughout the process.
If youre in Orange County and have a plumbing problem that requires immediate attention, call Pristine Plumbing at for fast, reliable service 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Factors Affecting The Price Of Water Heater Service
Some factors determine the installation cost of a water heater by home depot. The following are the four key factors that influence the installation charges Installation basics, unit costs, getting the unit adequately secured, and permit fees. Depending on the model, a water heater can cost as little as $300 or $2,000. The price of a water heater is determined by its capacity and kind.
Home depot charges are incredibly high for large tank water heaters, but you are charged somewhat less for tankless hot water systems. A 55-gallon hot water tank tanks are ideal for bigger families and houses with six people, while couples can utilize a smaller 23-gallon hot water tank.
Home depot can assist you in finding the best hot water system for your family. Because of the plumbing and electrical effort put into installing a water heater, you may require a permit in some instances. The permit cost depends on the type of permission needed and the town or countryside granting it. In addition, the contractor must guarantee that the installation complies with all applicable regulations.
Recommended Reading: Water Heater Pilot Light Won’t Stay Lit After Replacing Thermocouple
Conventional Storage Tank Water Heater
The first style of water heater is the most popular: the conventional storage-tank water heater. This style features a main tank that holds the water. Something to note is that the tanks are available in different capacities.
If you have a large family or use a lot of hot water, you may want to consider a water heater with a larger tank capacity.
These water heaters are insulated and use two different valves:
- A temperature control valve
- A pressure control valve
These valves become activated when specific numbers are reached. For instance, when the water in the tank reaches over 120-degrees, it will release heat to cool it down.
Youll need to clean this type of water tank twice per year. Its easy to install and is often the most affordable option.
Does Home Depot Install Water Heaters For Free
By: Author Lindsay Reed
Replacing a water heater typically costs hundreds if not thousands of dollars, so you may find yourself wondering if Home Depot will install a water heater purchased from them for free!
Home Depot charges between $1,000 $3,000 for a water heater installation. This price includes permits, installation materials, and removal of the old water heater. Changing fuel sources or switching from a tank to a tankless water heater can increase costs.
Keep reading to learn more about the factors that influence the cost of a water heater installation!
You May Like: Ac Recharge Cost For Car